Saturday 29 March 2014

Foreign Nostalgia



Whilst living abroad, going home can almost feel foreign at times as contradictory as that sounds. Having lived in the US, France and now Germany for the past 2 years now, I've become accustomed to and have enjoyed living my daily life immersed in cultures and languages that are different to my own

However, whenever I return home there's something about rainy tea-filled afternoons, the 'mind-the-gap' London Underground lady, black cabs and the leafy green suburbs of Greater London that seem both very familiar, but very different. A unique blend of foreign nostalgia. The classic expat's oxymoron. 


After returning to the bright, city lights of London recently, I obviously became an complete tourist :)  Above is a photo that I took of the London skyline, which includes one of my favourite places in London, St Paul's Cathedral


“It’s a funny thing coming home. Nothing changes. Everything looks the same, feels the same, even smells the same. You realize what’s changed, is you.”  Eric RothThe Curious Case of Benjamin Button


-Nikita


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...