Wednesday 7 August 2013

People Over Pixels



So I've once again been a complete tourist in the Silicon Valley. A friend of mine that knows someone that works at  Facebook  (something that is completely normal around here) invited me to join them for lunch at the social media giant's HQ. Upon arrival I was told to search our intern friend's name on Facebook using one of the many iPads in order to print my visitor's badge. I quickly learned that at Facebook, using Facebook is not only encouraged but is the primary method of office communication. Pretty much frowned upon in offices around the world,but around here if you're not on Facebook then you're not doing your job.

As you can see from the photos I was pretty amazed by the abundance of free (yes, free) food at Facebook. Food labelled with the infamous FB logo are free for employees to munch away on to their heart and belly's content. Writing on the walls is another non-traditional office activity at FB since what else would the walls of Facebook be for than to be written on?  This creative outlet has resulted in works of art that as you can see are beautiful and often inspiring. 

Of course, before leaving I had to sign the infamous 'Facebook Wall' and post it to my own Facebook wall in true inception-style tech-geekiness that can only be achieved in the Silicon Valley. I went for the generic 'Nikita was here 31/07/13, in true tourist fashion. With one week left in San Francisco,  these tourist posts are only going to increase as I attempt to cram as much sight-seeing in as possible!

 You have been warned :)

-Nikita

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nikita,

    Nice blog. I am also passionate about space.
    I did my master thesis at Astrium Space Transportation and I am now looking for a job.
    Feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    Best regards,

    Francisco Escórcio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Francisco,

    Glad you like my blog and share the same enthusiasm for space.
    How is the job hunting going? Astrium is a great company!

    Speak soon,
    Nikita

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...